OlaOutput Max External
How to use the OlaOutput Max External
This article describes how to configure OlaOutput on Mac OS X 10.5 for use in Cycling 74's Max/MSP/Jitter or Ableton MaxForLive environments.
1. First, download the latest build of OLA from here and install it. OlaOutput is only compatible with OS X only for now.
2. OLA is a separate application from Ableton Live and Max/MSP. To use it to output DMX from DMaX, you need to start the OLA daemon first. Before you do this, make sure any USB devices you wish to use are plugged in and their drivers are installed.
Open Terminal (found in Applications/Utilities), type the following and press enter:
This will start the OLA daemon.
3. OLA has a HTTP web interface for configuration. You can get to this from this address:
OLA won’t do anything until it’s configured. You need to set-up which DMX universe each hardware device will operate on. To do this, select ‘Devices’ from the left-hand menu in the OLA web interface.
4 Click on the + next to the device you wish to use. You will see a variety of boxes labeled ‘IN’ and ‘OUT’. We want to configure a universe for output, so choose the correct ‘OUT’ box for the port you wish to use and enter a number into it to specify the universe. 1 a typical starting value.
Once you’ve done this, press ’Save Changes’ at the bottom of the list.
5. Click on ‘Universes’ on the left-hand menu. You should now see a list of the universes specified for output, which should include the one you just specified.
7. Once you’re done, you can close olad using the link on the ‘Home’ page of the web interface.
For additional help with and information about OLA, visit .